Chef Boyardee – The Update (aka I’m a failure)

6 Jun

A few weeks back I wrote about my big plan to start cooking more often. (at all) Yesterday, I ran into my friend KM at Whole Foods. As she looked into my cart and saw all the pre-prepared food, she smiled and asked how the cooking was going. I was so beyond busted!
So here’s an update: It didn’t exactly pan out. My intentions were there, the plans in place, but the cooking never actually happened. In my mind I imagined that I would plan the meals for the entire week ahead of time. Then go to the market on Sunday, without any kids and get everything I needed for the week. When Sunday night rolled around I was so exhausted that I couldn’t even take a shower to get the sand out of my hair from the beach that day. It would have taken multiple red bulls and serious dedication to follow through with my big plan. I fell asleep that night with my clothes on in my 5 year old’s bed as I do on many a Sunday night. After an entire weekend with all 3 kids and no babysitter help, I am usually a shell of a person by bedtime on Sunday. It doesn’t look like my Sunday idea has a real shot at happening. Maybe, I just need a new approach? I am determined to figure out a way to make healthy, home cooked meals for my family without ignoring or neglecting my children or hating every minute of it. In the meantime, I am going to start playing the lottery in hopes of winning big and hiring a personal chef.

xoxo

How many nights a week do you cook? Tell the truth…

8 Responses to “Chef Boyardee – The Update (aka I’m a failure)”

1. Alex Thorpe June 6, 2012 at 8:36 am #

I cook about 4 nights a week, and my only recommendation would be to do your shopping without the kids, if you can, or make the kids a part of your routine. If you have the kids help, it gets them out of trouble and then they are excited about eating the fresh veggies. Just remember, not every meal will be a success. Last night, I made quinoa burgers and the kids were starving by bedtime.

2. Becky June 6, 2012 at 8:50 am #

Every. Single. Day. If you’re really asking for help on how to make it happen I can help you. Don’t want to leave unsolicited advice.

3. jp June 6, 2012 at 9:05 am #

There are times it is much easier to just throw something together and not bother to go out for picking up or eating out. I cook at least 4 meals and many things last for 6 because I make sure I cook more than we need. Ex. Last week when I bbq’d chicken I had it the first night and then the next night I took the already cooked chicken and made it into chinese chicken salad. I even had some left over and used it t by stir frying some vegetables and adding the chicken. Another thing I did recently was cook turkey burgers ( I always make more than I need ). We had the turkey burgers the first night and then I used the leftovers in spaghetti sauce. You could use cooked turkey so many ways…chili, tostado’s or taco’s. I have lots of staples that are used in many recipes. Think about what is in the take out you bring in and it will give you idea’s of what to have around so you can do it yourself.

4. dsimons1 June 6, 2012 at 9:47 am #

Dinner is my most dreaded meal of the day. Breakfast is amazing, love making French toast, scrambled eggs, lunch is a no brainer. Dinner always makes me want to crawl under a rock. It always hits when business is at its peak, bath time is hitting and home transitions, ie Dad comes home. If you figure out a solution, please share. In the meantime, food delivery is my advice!

5. Jennifer June 6, 2012 at 12:57 pm #

You definitely need a new approach! I have never been able to get a week’s worth of meals all in one shopping trip. I usually buy for 1 or 2 nights at a time. Why not take a slow step into home cooking. Start out slowly by cooking maybe just 3 nights a week, take out 2 nights, and maybe going out one night. Also, it doesn’t have to be complicated. My easiest meal is throwing pre- cut up chicken in the oven (we prefer dark meat so for us it’s only legs and thighs) – sprinkle with some basic seasonings(i use salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika or buy one of those “all-season” things). Cook on high like 400 or so for 15 min and bring it down to 350-375 for 45 min. Not a lot of prep, and all cooked in the oven. Not much thought involved! It comes out crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside. To round it out, do an easy side – steam some broccoli in the microwave, boil in a bag rice. Voila – a home cooked meal! If you spend time cooking one main thing, you don’t have to make fancy sides. Remember, think easy -even taco night is a big hit in my house – not fancy at all, but cooked at home with fresh ground beef.. and my kids aren’t fancy with their toppings – all they want is cheese. Also, do you have a grill? My hubby loves to cook on a grill. Any way yours will? Having my husband grill up some steaks or burgers makes dinner so easy! Just don’t try to become Martha Stewart overnight- you will definitely become overwhelmed and want to quit! If I can cook a meal, so can you – trust me!

• jp June 6, 2012 at 8:43 pm #

Try ground turkey in place of the hamburger. In many things you can’t tell the difference…only the turkey is not red meat and has less fat. Healthier choice.

6. Jolie June 6, 2012 at 1:29 pm #

Can we go back to the part where you went to the beach?

7. 90210mom June 6, 2012 at 8:31 pm #

I do actually WANT to cook. I have been known to WANT to do things for quite awhile before I actually get them done. When I was on bed rest with the twins, a few people brought dinner over. Maybe that’s the way to get home cooked meals! We just ordered a BBQ so that might help…Thanks for all the comments!