Peet’s Coffee on Beverly Drive – You Suck.

26 Jun

A week ago my Monday morning playdate and I decided to stray from our usual Coffee Bean and try Peet’s Coffee instead. I know, living on the wild side. Things starting going terribly wrong from the moment we stepped inside: First, my mega double stroller barely fit through the door and slammed into the glass. Everyone in the place turned and glared at us as if we has just interrupted the Bar Exam. Then my friend jammed her son’s arm in the doorway as she’s trying to squeeze in. We should have called it quits at that point but we were determined to make it to the counter. As approaching the counter I heard one cashier say to the other cashier, “Oh boy, get the mop.” so, that’s what it’s come to? people see my kids coming and immediately predict a catastrophe. Then, right on cue the twins start screaming, “Chocolate milk! CHOCOLATE MILK!!!!!” there must be something in those Horizon milk boxes that flips the crazy switch in my children. If I don’t get the little frickin’ straws in fast enough they start acting like I’m cutting off their oxygen flow.
I order my green iced tea (coffee makes me act like I’m on crack) and I proceed to spill it on the floor just as the lady hands it to me. Apparently at Peets they don’t believe in lids. The cashier snaps, “don’t worry, I’ll clean it up!” Gee thanks lady, it’s iced tea not a dead body.

Within the next 30 seconds, everything that could have gone wrong, did –
JH starts squeezing his milk box and pouring all of its contents onto the floor, just as TR starts hysterically screaming, “Out Mommy! Stroller no no out out out!” I then dropped my credit card, and as I bent over to get it smashed the stroller into the counter. At that very moment an employee that looked beyond miserable decided it would be a good time to try to squeeze by my big rig stroller. As I tried to maneuver out of her way (while JH is still spraying milk onto the floor and TR is hollering) I ran over the woman’s foot. This lady starts jumping up and down, does a 360 degree spin and starts screaming, “My foot! My foot!” for God’s sake woman, it was an accident and it’s a stroller not a Hummer. Before, I could apologize she snaps at me, “Don’t worry, I’ll clean the mess up!”
As I turned the stroller around to make a B-line for the exit, I notice that the line is 20 people deep and they are all staring at me and my catastrophe on wheels.
When my girlfriend and I finally made it out of Peet’s alive, we looked at each other and burst into hysterical laughter. The only way that coffee run could have gone worse was if we set off the fire alarm and sprinklers.
To say that Peet’s coffee is not kid friendly would be a huge understatement. Between the snappy employees and gawking patrons, this place might as well put a sign out front that says, KIDS NOT WELCOME HERE, GO TO COFFEE BEAN.
Well Peet’s coffee, guess what? My crazy caravan won’t be back. And I might have to mention to a few people here and there to not patronize Peet’s on Beverly Drive. Either that or I’ll invite every set of twins I know to meet me at Peet’s for breakfast every morning this week.

xoxo

Should I boycott Peet’s? or tell everyone with little kids to start hanging out there?

10 Responses to “Peet’s Coffee on Beverly Drive – You Suck.”

1. Jolie June 26, 2012 at 8:19 am #

OK, now we’re getting personal.

Are we speaking of the Peet’s that my first born was Customer of Week, twice, before she turned one? The Peet’s that we visited twice each day when it was just the two of us, figuring this life out together? The Peet’s where we lingered for hours, that served as my baby group when I didn’t want to pay $300 to listen to Jackie or Donna, and learned from writers and artists and regular moms doing the same, instead? The Peet’s that served as my weekly pre-party with the people I adored most, before our weekly Joey’s Gym?

Sorry, but you’re trashing my memories here. I love you, but I will take you on.

Don’t mess.

• 90210mom June 27, 2012 at 7:04 am #

Jolie, will you marry me? I love you for reminding me of the good times we had at Peet’s. I will love you even more if you meet me there next week with all our children to see what happens…

• Jolie June 27, 2012 at 9:57 am #

It’s on. But if you wear the shoes discussed in the next entry, I will promptly exit and deny ever knowing you.

I love you too.

2. jp June 26, 2012 at 12:06 pm #

Sorry to be laughing at your experience. Lots of reasons I know of to not patronize any Peet’s. They love your kids at Urth…and the sweet rolls are to die for. The twins love the waffles but they do keep yelling dip dip….they love the syrup more !

3. Jlo June 27, 2012 at 9:04 pm #

Still laughing!!!! You are so funny and I’m so ready to take on that chick who got run over by your stroller!!

4. Sue Hodge September 26, 2012 at 11:26 pm #

As a employee of Peets for five years I must admit that I wish we has a sign that said “no kids”. In fact, I think almost everyone in the service industry would vehemently agree. I have a son myself so I am by no means anti-kids. But please, leave your kids outside with a friend cause patrons and staff do not want them inside the store. There is little worse than being sat next to a kids eating dinner, flying in an airplane and sitting in a relaxing coffee shop. Actually there is something worse, the kid’s parents.

Sorry, but this is the truth I speak on behalf of most service industry folks.

• 90210mom September 30, 2012 at 7:17 pm #

Sue-
      Maybe coffee shops and restaurants could have little cages in front where parents leave their kids while they go inside to get a cup of coffee and something to eat. Or even better, if all children wore leashes we could just tie them to a tree out front and run in without disturbing the fellow patrons. Basically your suggestion is that all children should be banned from public spaces where adults might also be present. If someone is in a coffee shop or a restaurant in the first place it means they made a choice to be in public with society. If that person has no desire to be apart of the real world which includes children, dogs, minorities, the homeless, disabled people and even bitter coffee shop employees then they should make a Latte in their own kitchen and stay home.

• J LO October 2, 2012 at 11:31 am #

AMEN SISTER!

5. Lisa kaiser October 2, 2012 at 12:31 pm #

OH Sue, I feel sad for your son!! Shame on you!

6. Common Sense July 29, 2015 at 8:11 pm #

You’re upset that after you and your kids spilled shit all over their store they offered to clean it up for you? Way to prove all the stereotypes about people in the 9021 correct. You sound like an absolute troll.