If They Aren’t Screaming Then They Aren’t Breathing.

29 Jun

Yesterday we almost had our first trip to the Emergency Room. My 2 year old, TR and her twin brother woke up from their naps as usual, except TR wasn’t talking. This kid is always talking and if she’s not talking she’s screaming. I knew she had a cold but it was nothing out of the ordinary, just a runny gunky nose. Then, at lunch she wouldn’t eat. This girl is always eating. Even though she barely registers on the growth chart, the kid can eat. After lunch she seemed fine until I started paying attention to her breathing. She was struggling to breath. Every inhale was short and deliberate.
Of course she wasn’t talking or eating! She was having serious trouble breathing! I grabbed her and ran to the car. I figured I would head for the ER and call the Pediatrician on the way. Thank GOD my nanny was there so I didn’t have to take all 3 with me. As I ran out the door big sister HB casually says to me, I really hope she doesn’t die. I thought, yah, me too.
When I got the doctor’s office on the line they said to just come straight to them. We only live about 5 minutes away from there. Let me tell you, it was the longest drive of my life. I kept looking back at my baby girl as she started to nod off. This cannot be happening!
We finally arrived and I felt a sense of relief as we walked through the door. She was checked quickly and hooked up to a breathing machine with medicine to help her breath.
She was having an asthma attack. Apparently kids can have an attack brought on by a simple cold. It could happen again or it may never happen again. It’s just a wait and see type of situation – every parents worst kind of situation is the let’s just wait and see kind.
Little TR is doing fine now and is proud of the Barney sticker they gave her. I’m fine too. I might start getting grey hair any second and I might need to start taking Xanax on a regular basis, but I’m fine.

xoxo

P.S. do you tend to freak out in these situations? Or do you remain calm?

20120630-073730.jpg

6 Responses to “If They Aren’t Screaming Then They Aren’t Breathing.”

1. Jlo June 30, 2012 at 7:57 am #

So glad TR is better! Very scary…Since you know me, I don’t feel I need to answer the “do I stay calm or freak out in these situations” You know that answer!

• Tracy June 30, 2012 at 10:38 am #

I know that answer too…lol!!!

2. nberal June 30, 2012 at 10:08 am #

Poor baby girl, my heart is sad for her. That’s super scary mama, hope everything gets better and she does not experience this again. At least we now know what to look for, but yeah if my child was having trouble breathing, I would be at the ER in a flash. On a side note, you don’t have any grey hairs yet? You are one lucky girl!!! I definitely have waaay too many!!!

• 90210mom June 30, 2012 at 10:46 am #

I have an inhaler for her in case it ever happens again. She is back to normal today, eating, talking and screaming! I’m sure the grey hair will show up any day now…
      xoxo

3. Tracy June 30, 2012 at 10:37 am #

thank gd she is ok!!

4. jp June 30, 2012 at 12:31 pm #

Thank God TR has a smart mother who did the right thing and did it fast. I have new silver ( maybe grey ) hair just hearing about it. I know you will keep an eye on all of them for any such symptoms if they occur in the future. Evan had one episode of asthma when he was at summer camp. It had something to do with the grass and the baseball field.